Conference Day Two: 26 July 2018
9:00 am - 9:30 am Conference Registration and Welcome Coffee
9:30 am - 9:40 am Opening Remarks by IQPC Australia and the Chairperson
9:40 am - 10:20 am Case Study: Vicinity Centres, Delivering Smart Cities Technology across an 80+ Portfolio of Retail SitesRichard Morrison - ICT Practice Lead AECOM
Ross O'Toole - General Manager Innovation Vicinity Centres
Real estate master-planning, development and construction are typically undertaken for a single site resulting in a single property, point-based solution. However, Commercial buildings are typically managed as part of a portfolio. Vicinity centers and Aecom are delivering smart cities technology across a portfolio of more than 80 retail sites and mixed businesses.
For property portfolio owners and managers, should we consider Smart Buildings from a portfolio perspective rather than a single asset? This session will focus on:
- Addressing the opportunities and challenges of portfolio risk management
- Analyzing the portfolio approach for smart buildings
- Developing the next generation retail centers
Richard MorrisonICT Practice Lead
Ross O'TooleGeneral Manager Innovation
10:20 am - 11:00 am Smart Deployment – IT/OT ConvergenceJon Clarke - Associate Director & Controls Group Manager Digital Buildings NORMAN DISNEY & YOUNG
The term intelligent or “Smart” Building” has been bounced around over the last 30 years but what does it actually mean by today’s standards and what outcomes do we need to achieve “smart”?
Big Data, Analytics, Artificial Intelligence, Augmented Reality and BIM gaming Engines are the latest Buzz words adding a complex layer of technology to buildings and raises the question; “Why approach Smart Buildings the same way we have been doing building automation for more than 15 years”
This presentation will provide an insight to smart design and delivery, disruption of traditional methods of procurement, and take a look at the construction Vs technology deployment challenge.
Jon ClarkeAssociate Director & Controls Group Manager Digital Buildings
NORMAN DISNEY & YOUNG
11:00 am - 11:30 am Morning Tea and Networking Break
11:30 am - 12:30 pm Case Study: Exploring the Intelligent Building Management at International Towers, BarangarooJames Peterson - General Manager, Development Asset Management & Operations Barangaroo Lendlease
Barangaroo is aiming to be one of the world’s leading sustainable urban developments and Australia’s first large scale carbon neutral community and all three office towers have been awarded 6 Star Green Star Office Design v3 ratings by the Green Building Council of Australia. International Towers at Barangaroo set a new benchmark for smart building management and innovation in tenant services. This is possible through the Open Building System Integration (OBSI) platform, which provides integrations between systems and business processes across three towers and a significant sized shared basement. The OBSI serves multiple stakeholders including building management teams, tenants, engineering and commissioning teams and contractors.
- Integration of core building systems and business processes
- Tenant engagement and empowerment through the use of smart building systems
- Building a community through smart building systems
James PetersonGeneral Manager, Development Asset Management & Operations Barangaroo
12:10 pm - 12:50 pm Case Studies: U City Mixed Use Tower and Flinders University Student Hub – Building Automation that Assists Mobility, Comfort and SustainabilityMilos Milutinovic - Senior Associate Woods Bagot
The U City Tower in Adelaide will be a vertical community comprising retail, function centre, social services, commercial office, respite accommodation, specialist disability apartments and retirement living residential dwellings. Additionally, the use of building automation in the recently completed Flinders University Student Hub in Adelaide was a key to overcoming a challenge of reducing overall electricity consumption on campus.
- Utilizing ‘smart technology’ systems to improve mobility and living comfort for its residents in disability and retirement living apartments in U City Tower
- Delivering a naturally ventilated building by using automated building elements to achieve a reduction of peak load by approximately
- 130kw at Flinders University
- Discussing the challenges and outcomes of the two projects
Milos MilutinovicSenior Associate
12:50 pm - 1:50 pm Networking Lunch
1:50 pm - 2:30 pm Building the Internet of Workplace to Drive Efficiency, Productivity and ProfitabilityPeter Black - National Director of Workplace Consulting Colliers
The “Internet of Things” (IoT) is changing every aspect of our lives as internet-fuelled connectivity becomes a seamless part of everyday systems. Translating this into the “Internet of Workplace” will drive the next level of efficiencies, productivity and profits — powered by devices, furniture and environments that interact digitally.
- Making the buildings reactive and proactive
- Designing workplaces that are adaptable to different employee preferences
- Utilizing smart sensors to control electricity to save energy
- Getting ahead of the impact of automation
Peter BlackNational Director of Workplace Consulting
2:30 pm - 3:10 pm Enhancing Performance and Reimagining the Tenant Experience in Smart BuildingsJohn Preece - Chief Property Officer Hub Australia
In today's market, corporate office occupiers have high expectations of their real estate and the provision of services by building owners. There are a multitude of 'smart' building technologies currently available, and we will assess what is genuinely important to occupiers as they compare premises options for their business, along with the technological influences on their use of space and how that space is fitted out. In particular:
- What are the influences driving change?
- What are the 'must have' technologies for landlords of commercial office buildings to attract and retain occupiers?
- The changing use of office space and how technology is facilitating smarter and more efficient fit outs
John PreeceChief Property Officer
3:10 pm - 3:50 pm Panel Discussion: Evaluating the User’s Experience in the Intelligent BuildingsMark McKenna - Global Sustainability Group Leader NORMAN DISNEY & YOUNG
Jeffrey Robinson - Technical Director Built Environment Aurecon
Maria Verner - Development Manager Marriott International
Wayne Taranto - Director, Hotels and Suites Crown Group
- Getting the tenants’ perspective on life inside an intelligent building
- How IoT has impacted the way humans interact with buildings
- How the smart features have enhanced the users’ comfort
- How seamless IoT integration in everyday activities has boosted employee productivity
Mark McKennaGlobal Sustainability Group Leader
NORMAN DISNEY & YOUNG
Jeffrey RobinsonTechnical Director Built Environment
Maria VernerDevelopment Manager
Wayne TarantoDirector, Hotels and Suites